How to get the most out of Facebook when in Groningen
And have an excuse to spend even more time on social media 😉
Despite what your mother might tell you spending all you time on Facebook could actually be good for you. Well maybe not all your time but as an international in a new city it can be difficult to find out information about events, groups and things going on in the area. Luckily, that’s where Facebook comes in handy. With lots of pages and events it’s easy to find things to do and possibly even make new friends. Here are some ideas to help you to get the most out of the site and an excuse to procrastinate in the name of research!
- As you may have already discovered there are plenty of Facebook pages for helping you to find a place to live here in Groningen. These can be really helpful for internationals who may be searching for accommodation whilst in another country. Be careful to avoid being ripped off by never giving anyone money before you’ve signed a contract. With a bit of common sense these groups can be a great way to quickly and easily find housing without having the cost of paying an agent.
- There are also loads of buy/sell Groningen groups where you can find really cheap second hand furniture, clothes and bikes. These groups are super helpful if your moving into an unfurnished room and don’t want to spend a fortune on new furniture or if you just love a bargain. Just search “Groningen buy sell” on the search feature and a whole list of groups will come up. Most of the posts are done in English so no need to worry about not speaking Dutch. Tip: sometimes the admins won’t accept you into the group if they can’t see that you live in Groningen so consider adding it to your bio if you haven’t already.
- There are also lots of Facebook events for things like food festivals, night club events or other fun things going on in the city. Even if you don’t want to go it can be a good idea to click ‘Attending’ as Facebook will suggest similar events for you in the future so you may find out about something really cool that you have no idea about! The more events you interact with the more Facebook will suggest.
- The same works for pages for restaurants, bars, businesses and groups, the more you like the more Facebook suggests. Sometimes this can be a little bit annoying but if it means you find out about your fave new bar or a great shop it’s definitely worth it! Another handy tip is to search Groningen, select pages and see what comes up! You can find all sorts of pages about things going on in the city from sports groups, shops, to bike repairs. Just hit like for the latest updates. Tip: if the page is in Dutch try right click and ‘translate’, although Google translate is not the best it can be useful to get an idea of what the page is about and whether it is of any interest to you.
- There are also Facebook pages for NS Group-Tickets, an offer ran by the NS train company where you can get cheap return train tickets to anywhere in the Netherlands for as little as €7. All the groups have explanations of how the tickets work and how to get them- it’s very easy once you get the hang of it! Again just use the search feature, type “ns group tickets” and you can easily find the groups for different destinations.
- There are also international student groups, ex-pat groups, etc. it’s just a case of searching, seeing what comes up and whether you think it will be useful. Don’t forget it’s always possible to unlike a page or to leave a group if it’s not for you. You never know unless you try though and Facebook can be very useful if you know the right places to look!
- And last but not least like the Internationals Groningen page for the latest and best internationals news and articles! Happy surfing!