Tip for a short getaway: Southend on Sea
Southend on Sea has a charming nickname: London at Sea. No, they did not relocate London, but because of the short distance to this beautiful city and the lovely beaches, Southend on Sea is the perfect way to explore London. We will tell you all about it!
Visit London, sleep at Southend
We can hear you thinking: why would I not stay in London if I want to explore London? Well, because London is expensive. Very expensive. Staying at Southend on Sea offers you the possibility to explore London and saving on hotel costs. Also: Southend itself is quite worth the visit as well.
Fly to Southend in an hour
You can fly to Southend from Amsterdam Schiphol, but also from Eelde Airport. And that makes this
getaway so easy to arrange for us Groningers. It takes only an hour to get to Southend. And, if you choose to fly from Eelde Airport, you will have the chance to travel with a Cityhopper.
You can book your flight at FlyBe.
Fron the airport, the train can take you to the heart of London in 45 minutes. But, if you choose to stay at Southend, you can take a cab to your hotel or bed and breakfast and take the train from the station near the city town. If you book your tickets in advance, you get a discount as well as some nice extra’s like discounts on attractions and musea.
Hotels in Southend on Sea
For our trip, we were lucky enough to stay in the Roslin Beach Hotel which became our all time favorite hotel instantly. We have visited lots and lots of hotels, but no hotel offered the atmosphere and service as this charming hotel with see view. So we highly recommend this accommodation if your budget allows you to spend the night.
If not, there are numerous options for hotels and bed and breakfasts in lovely Southend.
What to do in Southend?
We recommend to not only spend nights at Southend, but also enjoy this charming city. A few things you can explore:
- Adventure Island: a really large and nice fair along the see. This place is perfect for kids.
2. Chill at Leigh on Sea: this pittoresk village throws you back ages.
3. Eat Fish & Chips: try the Fishermans Warf for the best fish and chips we ever have come across.
4. Visit musea and parks: Southend has 80 beautiful parks and the interesting state museums are free to visit.
5. Visit Southend Theatres: they offer great shows and performances. Check the program at their website.
6. Watersports: The Beach Club Southend offers great activities for water sports lovers.
And this is just a small recap of some things you can experience in this lovely town. So consider Southend the next time you dream of a short getaway which combines a supercity like London with sea wind to clear your mind.
Questions? We are happy to answer them! Please leave a comment or contact us.